Graphics Settings

Wondering if you plan to have variable graphics settings for a wider range of systems.
Some people are worried about their system and if it will be able to handle the game. One workaround for this might to be to have variable graphics settings where the game renders more or less objects on the ground, specifically less grass or simpler texture per face of ground might be easier to do. Removing trees (solid objects) makes no sense.
Also possibly less complicated figures or more complicated figures depending on what you are calling the base playing configuration.
What do you think Sirs?
(Before anyone jumps on it, the above is an MST3K quote. Sir/Sirs plurality is irrelevant)

I believe this should be in #suggestions :slight_smile:
Great idea! Even though it shouldn’t be too heavy (it’s polygon art), this would be really cool to make it run faster.

I thought about that but I didn’t know if it was already in the works or what so I figured General would be a good starting point at least.

It would be useful for singleplayer, although with multiplayer you might run into some issues

I’m not sure if you’ve noticed in the screenshots, but there aren’t any bitmap textures, and everything is low-poly :slight_smile:

Just thinking possibly grasses that have no real function apart from scenery. There are trees and just thought a little extra greenery might be nice for tougher systems.
edit: Also figured the screenshots were probably an in progress preview.

On the “low poly” thing, you’d think it would save a bunch of processing power, but it turns out it doesn’t really. Normal games render roughly the same number of polygons as low poly games do. Typically the only real thing that is different about games that get branded “low poly” is that they don’t use textures.

Textures use a bit of extra memory, and take a little extra graphics card power. But this isn’t generally a bottleneck in most 3D games. So usually, and definitely in Ambience’s case, there is no real frame rate boost from the low poly look, and it’s really just a design decision based on look and simplicity for asset creation, as I don’t have to create all those textures.

But back on topic, yep I’ll definitely be adding some settings to customize that trade off between graphics quality and performance. I’m not sure yet what settings will make actual real differences, and I’ll need to test that on a number of different setups later down the track. But there is one I already have which allows you to increase/decrease the rate at which terrain triangles get subdivided nearer the player. So you will be able to set how detailed the further away hills and mountains are, and the tree/grass/etc. rendering are tied to that, so it will also affect how far away trees will start appearing.